Apna Ghar's 40-Hour Domestic Violence Training
Apna Ghar is a certified training site offering the 40-hour domestic violence certification, a requirement for individuals entering the field in a professional or volunteer capacity. Professionals, students, interns and volunteers seeking professional development are encouraged to contact us and apply for the training which we offer several times a year.
Apna Ghar’s interactive 40-hour domestic violence training provides foundational knowledge to work with survivors of gender violence. Individuals who complete the 40-hour training are bound by confidentiality under the Illinois Domestic Violence Act.
The training addresses key aspects of domestic violence as a human rights issue and incorporates a social justice approach while covering required topics prescribed by Illinois Certified Domestic Violence Professional Board (ICDVP):
- Socio-ecological examination of the roots of gender-based violence and the strategies needed for preventing such violence and promoting healthy relationships
- Best practices in crisis response and safety planning for survivors
- Pathways for healing and change for perpetrators of abuse
- Examining oppression, power, privilege and identity and developing cultural humility skills for working with immigrants and underserved populations
- Legal remedies and protections for survivors
- Sexual assault, human trafficking, child abuse, and elder abuse
- Mental illness and substance abuse, domestic violence
- Assessing danger and suicidality
To apply for the upcoming trainings, click here and to make payment click on link.
Until further notice, Apna Ghar will hold its 40-hour trainings virtually in 2021 via Zoom. The four planned trainings are scheduled to accommodate various schedules, with two trainings held over weekdays and the two other trainings held over weekends. The current schedule for Apna Ghar's 2021 40-hour trainings is:
- March 2021 Training will be held online over eight weekdays 9 AM - 3 PM, March 15th-19th and March 22nd-24th, 2021.
- June 2021 Training will be held online over four weekends, Friday evenings 6-9 PM and Saturdays 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM, June 4th and 5th, June 11th and 12th, June 18th and 19th, and June 25th and 26th, 2021
- The September 2021 Training will be held online over eight weekdays 9 AM - 3 PM, September 20th-24th and September 27th-29th, 2021.
- The November/December 2021 Training will be held online over four weekends: Friday evenings 6-9 PM and Saturdays 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM on November 12th & 13th, November 19th and 20th, December 3rd and 4th, and December 10th and 11th, 2021.
Apna Ghar has developed many highly rated workshops and information sessions for schools, criminal justice organizations, congregations, health and human service providers, and civic groups. If you are interested in having Apna Ghar facilitate a workshop or provide information on how to support survivors and promote healthy relationships, contact Radhika Sharma Gordon, Outreach and Education Manager at [email protected]