Apna Ghar's 40-Hour Domestic Violence Training
Apna Ghar is a training site offering the 40-hour domestic violence certification, a requirement for individuals entering the field in a professional or volunteer capacity. Professionals, students, interns and volunteers seeking professional development are encouraged to contact us and apply for the training which we offer several times a year.
Apna Ghar’s interactive 40-hour domestic violence training provides foundational knowledge to work with survivors of gender violence. Individuals who complete the 40-hour training are bound by confidentiality under the Illinois Domestic Violence Act.
The training addresses key aspects of domestic violence as a human rights issue and incorporates a social justice approach while covering required topics prescribed by Illinois Certified Domestic Violence Professional Board (ICDVP):
- Socio-ecological examination of the roots of gender-based violence and the strategies needed for preventing such violence and promoting healthy relationships
- Best practices in crisis response and safety planning for survivors
- Pathways for healing and change for perpetrators of abuse
- Examining oppression, power, privilege and identity and developing cultural humility skills for working with immigrants and underserved populations
- Legal remedies and protections for survivors
- Sexual assault, human trafficking, child abuse, and elder abuse
- Mental illness and substance abuse, domestic violence
- Assessing danger and suicidality
To apply for the upcoming trainings, click here and to make payment click on link.
Until further notice, Apna Ghar will hold its 40-hour trainings virtually in 2022 via Zoom.
- The Apna Ghar June 2022 40-Hour Training will take place via Zoom over twelve sessions beginning Wednesday, June 1st: Four Wednesday evenings 6-9 PM June 1, 8, 15, and 22, Four Saturdays 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM June 4, 11, 18, and 25, Four Monday evenings 6-9 PM June 6, 13, 20, and 27.
- The September training will take place in the last few weeks of September over eight weekdays, 9:30 AM - 3:30 PM, Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays September 19, 21, 22, 23, and 26, 28, 29, and 30, 2022.
- The November training will take place over Monday and Wednesday evenings 6-9 PM and Saturdays 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM with many breaks during the day.
Apna Ghar has developed many highly rated workshops and information sessions for schools, criminal justice organizations, congregations, health and human service providers, and civic groups. If you are interested in having Apna Ghar facilitate a workshop or provide information on how to support survivors and promote healthy relationships, contact Radhika Sharma Gordon, Outreach and Education Manager at [email protected]